Visual Arts & Creative Writing Invitation
for The Book of James
Hello! This spring Hillcrest will be going through a sermon series on the book of James. We’re inviting everybody in the church to create and submit pieces of original art, specific to the book of James, that will be displayed in the Fireside Room, and/or possibly shared with the congregation during a service, or shared within the context of a small group setting.
Vision: Let’s explore what it looks like to live as Christ-followers today by engaging in a creative response to the book of James.
All ages and skill levels welcome: Everybody is welcome to submit their original visual artwork or creative writing.
Specifically to focus on James: All artwork submitted must portray words, ideas, or imagery about the book of James, for an upcoming sermon series on the book of James. Realistic, abstract, or symbolic interpretations are welcome!
Types of artwork that you can submit: Two-dimensional artwork on canvas, paper, wood, etc., three-dimensional sculpture of wood, metal, clay, etc., framed poem or spiral bound short story. For the performing arts: music, dance, or drama that aligns with the book of James, contact Carlo with any ideas for entry.
Entry Limit: One (1) submission total per person.
Deadline for submission: March 1st, by 4pm. No submissions can be accepted after Tuesday, March 1st @ 4pm.
Where to bring art: Drop off finished artwork at the church office between Monday-Thursday 9-4pm.
When will it be displayed? March 6th-July 3rd, 2022.
All entries must meet the following requirements:
- Relate to the book of James
- Be permanently labeled (somewhere hidden, like on the back) with your name and phone number
- Be ready to hang (for 2-dimensional work). Must have securely-attached hardware, like a wire stretched between two eyelet screws. If your work is on foamcore, Hillcrest will make hangers on the back for you.
- Have a signed Artist Release Form
- Have an Art Entry Sheet taped to the front of your submission
- Have an Artist Statement, 150 words or less, printed and taped to the back of your artwork
- A copy of your Artist Statement emailed to Mary Margaret Brotherton
by March 1st, 2022, by 4pm.
- Dropped off at the church office before 4pm, March 1st, 2022.
Notice: Hillcrest Church staff reserves the right to not display any submission that:
- Is not submitted on time or does not meet all of the submission requirements: signed artist release form, art entry sheet, artist statement, or any artwork that is not ready to hang/display.
- Contradict or misrepresent Hillcrest Church’s values to Love God, Grow Together, Care for the World (for example, do not include: symbols of political or other organizational affiliation, profanity, hate, violence, sexually explicit or suggestive material.)
- May potentially fall apart, break, or disintegrate over the course of the display. This includes frames that are not sturdy enough to handle the duration of the sermon series.
Please note that Hillcrest Church serves a wide audience that includes children and people in trauma and recovery.
A word of encouragement: whatever you decide to create in response to the book of James, invite Jesus to meet you in that space. He just wants to spend time with you, and any spark of creative inspiration He gives you is worth exploring with Him.
Need help? Got a question?
Contact Mary Margaret Brotherton