Call for Art:
Hello! Hillcrest will spend several months this year going through the Gospel book of Luke. Luke tells the story of Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection, displaying God’s plan for fulfilling His promise to Israel, and the whole world! Wow! Because of the scope of this book and its numerous themes and images, it can be overwhelming to know what to create in response. See ideas to get you started.
Vision: We’re inviting everybody in the church to create and submit pieces of original artwork that reflect any part of the book of Luke.
Artwork will be displayed in the Fireside Room, and/or possibly shared with the congregation during a service, or shared within the context of a small group setting.
All ages and skill levels welcome: Everybody is welcome to submit their original visual artwork or creative writing.
Types of artwork that you can submit: Two-dimensional artwork on canvas, paper, wood, etc., three-dimensional sculpture of wood, metal, clay, etc., framed poem or spiral bound short story.
Entry Limit: Up to two (2) entries per person.
Deadline for submission: April 17th, 2023.
No submissions can be accepted after Monday, April 17th, 2023 @ 4pm.
It takes time for our volunteers to prepare, arrange, and hang artwork; they need to have all artwork submissions in hand to design the exhibit.
Where to bring art: Drop off finished artwork at the church office anytime before the deadline, between Monday-Thursday 9-4pm.
When will it be displayed? April 19th, 2023 – August 31st, 2023.
All entries must meet the following requirements:
- Relates to the Gospel of Luke
- Be permanently labeled (somewhere hidden, like on the back) with your name and phone number
- Be ready to hang (for 2-dimensional work). Must have securely-attached hardware, like a wire stretched between two eyelet screws. If your work is on foamcore, Hillcrest will make hangers on the back for you.
- Have a signed Artist Release Form
- Have an Art Entry Sheet taped to the front of your submission
- Have an Artist Statement, 150 words or less, printed and taped to the back of your artwork
- A copy of your Artist Statement emailed to Mary Margaret Brotherton
by April 17th, 2023, by 4pm.
- Dropped off at the church office before 4pm, April 17th, 2023.
Notice: Hillcrest Church staff reserves the right to not display any submission that:
- Is not submitted on time or does not meet all of the submission requirements: signed artist release form, art entry sheet, artist statement, or any artwork that is not ready to hang/display.
- Contradict or misrepresent Hillcrest Church’s values to Love God, Grow Together, Care for the World (for example, do not include: symbols of political or other organizational affiliation, profanity, hate, violence, sexually explicit or suggestive material.)
- May potentially fall apart, break, or disintegrate over the course of the display. This includes frames that are not sturdy enough to handle the duration of the sermon series.
Please note that Hillcrest Church serves a wide audience that includes children and people in trauma and recovery.
Need help? Got a question?
Contact Mary Margaret Brotherton