Calling all Artists!
During Advent at Hillcrest this year, our pastors will unpack the biblical truths about longing, hope, peace, and joy that are found in four famous Christmas carols.
This isn’t Jingle Bells, or Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer 🙂
We are looking for art that corresponds to these songs: O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, Silent Night, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, and Joy to the World. See the Christmas Carols section below for links to information and history about each song.
These familiar Christmas carols are at least 150 years old, with Joy to the World being over 300 years old, and O Come, O Come, Emmanuel originating in the 9th century! Digging into the history of how these songs were written yields the discovery of a depth of artistry and a profound expression of what Advent season holds. The composers of these songs were inspired by the story of Jesus’ birth, death, and resurrection as scriptural references are included in each one.
Vision: We’re inviting everybody in the church to create and submit pieces of original artwork that reflect any part of these Christmas carols.
Artwork will be displayed in the Fireside Cafe, and/or possibly shared with the congregation during a service, or shared within the context of a small group setting.
All ages and skill levels welcome: Everybody is welcome to submit their original visual artwork or creative writing.
Types of artwork that you can submit: Two-dimensional artwork on canvas, paper, wood, etc., three-dimensional sculpture of wood, metal, clay, etc., framed poem or spiral bound short story.
Entry Limit: It is recommended to focus on submitting ONE (1) entry, but up to four (4) entries per person are welcome.
Deadline for submission: Monday, November 6, 2023
No submissions can be accepted after Monday, November 6, 2023 @ 4pm.
It takes time for our volunteers to prepare, arrange, and hang artwork; they need to have all artwork submissions in hand to design the exhibit.
Where to bring art: Drop off finished artwork at the church office anytime before the deadline, between Monday-Thursday 9-4pm.
When will it be displayed? During Advent and into the New Year: November 19th, 2023- February 19, 2023.
All entries must meet the following requirements:
- Relates to any of the Christmas carols.
- Be permanently labeled (somewhere hidden, like on the back) with your name and phone number
- Be ready to hang (for 2-dimensional work). Must have securely-attached hardware, like a wire stretched between two eyelet screws. If your work is on foamcore, Hillcrest will make hangers on the back for you.
- Have a signed Artist Release Form
- Have an Art Entry Sheet taped to the front of your submission
- Have an Artist Statement, 150 words or less, printed and taped to the back of your artwork
- A copy of your Artist Statement emailed to Mary Margaret Brotherton
by November 6th, 2023, by 4pm.
- Dropped off at the church office before 4pm, November 6th, 2023.
Notice: Hillcrest Church staff reserves the right to not display any submission that:
- Is not submitted on time or does not meet all of the submission requirements: signed artist release form, art entry sheet, artist statement, or any artwork that is not ready to hang/display.
- Contradict or misrepresent Hillcrest Church’s values to Love God, Grow Together, Care for the World (for example, do not include: symbols of political or other organizational affiliation, profanity, hate, violence, sexually explicit or suggestive material.)
- May potentially fall apart, break, or disintegrate over the course of the display. This includes frames that are not sturdy enough to handle the duration of the sermon series.
Please note that Hillcrest Church serves a wide audience that includes children and people who have experienced trauma and are in recovery.
Need help? Got a question?
Contact Mary Margaret Brotherton